Struggling with Sciatica in Jacksonville FL?
One of the most curious things about sciatica for some of our Core Chiropractic patients is its tendency to cause problems only from time to time. Others report that the discomfort is so constant that normal daily activities are impossible. Fortunately, our Jacksonville chiropractor can help patients manage symptoms and achieve relief using therapies in Jacksonville FL that avoid surgery and medication.
WHAT EXACTLY IS SCIATICA IN JACKSONVILLE FL
One of the mistaken beliefs about sciatica is that it is a disorder with a particular medical diagnosis. In fact, it is actually a group of symptoms of a medical condition. Of all the nerves, the sciatic nerve is the largest. It originates where spinal nerve roots join and runs down the buttock and the back of the leg. Branches reach the thigh, calf, foot, and toes. When this nerve becomes compressed or irritated near the place where it originates, the result is sciatic nerve pain.
WHAT CAUSES SCIATIC NERVE PAIN?
These common causes are responsible for sciatic nerve pain, according to our chiropractor:
- Degenerative discs
- Lumbar herniated disc
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Isthmic spondylolisthesis
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Piriformis syndrome
Additional potential culprits include scar tissue, pregnancy, vertebral fracture, ankylosing spondylitis, infection, muscle strain, or a spinal tumor.
It is helpful to visualize sciatica as a collection of symptoms. Discomfort usually starts in the lower back and moves down the leg. Typical symptoms include:
- Pain in the lower back or buttock that travels along the path of the nerve
- Prickling or tingling leg sensations, numbness, or weakness
- Pain of a shooting nature or so severe that walking or even standing is difficult
- Constant leg or buttock pain, usually on just one half of the body
- Pain in the toes
- Increasing pain when standing or sitting instead of lying down or walking
- Pain that is searing as opposed to dull
- Experiencing weakness or numbness with foot or leg movements
- Lower-back pain not so severe as leg pain
TREATMENT AND MANAGEMENT
The primary chiropractic treatment for sciatic discomfort is the use of spinal adjustments and manual manipulation. Relief occurs as alignment of the spinal column improves, eliminating the problem that caused pain and other symptoms. A prescribed regimen of corrective exercises and advice on adopting new habits are helpful for many patients.
If you are ready to experience pain relief that lasts and avoid costly surgeries that can irreversibly damage your back, contact the chiropractic team at Core Chiropractic in Jacksonville to take advantage of our new patient special.